New Coil: From Scratch

Original poster: "Matt Skidmore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <fox-at-woozle-dot-org>

Hi all,
I have been very impressed with the continuing success of my first mini
coil and then my 4.5 inch coil that i have created (specs on foxxz-dot-net).

mistakes have been made and much has been learned since then and i've
decided to again start on another coil, putting my best effort forward to
make it look nice and getting more output. Thinking about what i wanted to
do last night caused me to get very little sleep. so i've come here for
some suggestions as to how i might design this one.

i know some people design their coils around the topload and some have
other wyas, but i usually like to start with the secondary. im thinking of
something like 8 to 12 inches in diameter. ive seen coils such as terry's
10 inche diameter that are wound 10 inches, and some longer. i had thought
that the rule of diamter x 4 was pretty good but once again there are so
many variences its hard to decide which kinds might be the most
successful.

also primary design. the last coils i stuck with a flat primary. can
someone list some advantages/disadvangtages of flat and cone shaped
primaries?

i get to do everyone from scratch again, and have fun doing it so id like
to hear some suggestions.

-fox