Re: Toroid fabrication?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/17/01 5:53:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "David Knaack by way of Terry Fritz
 <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dknaack-at-rdtech-dot-com>

 > I'm attempting to come up with ideas for DIY fabrication of
 > a toroid for my current small coil (4x11 inch primary).  I've
 > noticed that craft stores carry foam toroids (presumably as
 > a base for a wreath of some sort) in sizes up to about 10
 > inches in diameter.  The outer-inner radius is a bit small,
 > on the order of 2-2.5 inches, but it doesn't look too bad.
 >
 > Has anyone tried using one of these covered with aluminum
 > tape or foil, and can make a recommendation?

    I did once, and after the experience would strongly recommend the use
 of flex aluminum ducting instead!

 Ed

I have made several toroids out of foam donuts bought from craft shops for my
3.0" dia coil.  I usually cut a piece of 1/4" acrylic in a circle just
smaller than the foam then layed this in between two pieces of foam.  I used
clear packing tape to tape everything together then covered the whole thing
with aluminum tape.  They work just fine.

Ed Sonderman