Re: questions

Hi Ben,

At 08:23 PM 4/17/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>hello all,
>
>not exactly a tc, but here goes,
>
>I built an induction coil( proper term?)using 18 AWG plastic-coated wire.
>800 turns about 1-1/2" PVC pipe, about 7" long.  it has one hundred and
>fifty steel wires as a core, and 120 vac input.
>
>with these specs, i was hoping to launch aluminum rings, but can barely
>raise a foil ring 2".  what to do? more power (always an answer:)?

Sounds off topic ;-)  Maybe someone can help you off-list with that.

>Can I build a tc with this coil as secondary?

There are a few problems.

A TC needs a single layer of wire.  Your's probably has multiple layers on
top of eacy other.  The voltage is so high that it will arc from layer to
layer.  With a single layer the voltage can gradually build up to like
300kV along the length of the coil.

A TC needs to be air cored.  However, you could probably remove the iron
easily.

7" is really not tall enough.  It would tend to arc to the primary easily.
A single layer coil naturally gets long to help this.

Cheers,

	Terry