Re: "plate" capacitors

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/17/01 10:16:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <A123X-at-aol-dot-com
>

> Its just that the MMC costs way more than the homemade plate caps.

        If you rate the caps at $/MTBF (mean time between failures), or
total cost per year of service, rather than just initial dollars, I don't
think the above statement is always true. Low cost, short-lived, high
maintenance items are seldom a bargain unless you are passing them off to
someone else.
        A few years ago, I was in charge of maintaining a facility (a new
church) where capital costs for the initial project were kept low by buying
cheap materials with low life expectancy. This was done because the
construction supervisor was responsible for the Capital Budget, not the
Operating Budget. In three years, my maintenance budget quadrupled. Sometimes
cheap is very dear.
        Even if you consider your labor to have $0.00 value, you still have
to consider the total cost of clean-up and recovery after a catastrophic
failure. (Cleaning and repairing walls, oil containment and mop-up, oil
replacement, fixing coil damage, etc.) as part of the cost of a particular
type of cap. Some people are lucky, they can run for a long time without
problems, but I think you'll find them the exception.
        Of course, there are other considerations. I have one tank capacitor
that is a fish tank full of aluminum and Lucite plates that glows blue in the
dark. Very inefficient, but it was done purely for the visual effect. I do
not use it for any serious purposes.