Re: magnets for gap quenching?

Original poster: "David Knaack by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dknaack-at-rdtech-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Jason Johnson" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> The only problem I had with the setup was that the
> arc was being pulled against the lexan and started melting it. This is a
bad
> thing if you let the arc pull out and touch your magnets, they lose the
> magnetic properties at around 300C, and they burn like magneisum once
> ignited

I'm not clear on the orientation of the field, so this might
not work.  Could iron pole pieces be placed on the magnet and
oriented around the gap?  This would serve both to concentrate
the magnetic field in the gap and keep the magnet out of harms
way.

DK