Re: Good times Bad times...

In a message dated 4/15/01 6:56:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I tried to make the SRSG variable phase shifted ( I followed Johns circuit
>  diagram ) but couldnt get that
>  4-5 volt rise,

Scot,

It's not essential to get the 4 to 5 volt rise.  the system can work
fine with no rise at all or even with a voltage drop, depending on
other factors.  Bottom line:  If your motor phase shifts well, and
remains sync-locked for all or most of the variac's range, it's fine.
Some systems tend to lose lock without the 4 to 5 volt rise.
It's the capacitor that mostly determines the reso-rise.  Again,
if the motor shifts well, and remains locked, it's OK now.  If it
loses lock too easily, then you may need a little more capacitance.
Beware of motor self-braking with a too-large cap though.

Sounds like your coil is progressing well.   I'll comment more on
spark length later.

John Freau