Re: bipolar coil (wrong title before)

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

Will,
I am presently working on a 48 inch bipolar.
There are two-forms to a bipolar that I know of.
The classical coil is a continuous-wound secondary mounted horizontally with
the
primary mounted over the center of the coil with an equal number of turns
each side of center. The center of the secondary is the zero point where the
1/2 wave current is at a maximum. The voltage rises to a maximum at the ends
of the coil where the "rabbit ear"
rods extend. The spark travels between the rods. I use 3/16 copper tubing for
the
primary.

Connect the spark gap between the HV leads of the NST so the SG is connected
in parallel, just the way you said. From either side of the SG / NST
connection, connect to one side of the capacitor. The other side of the cap
goes to one side of the primary. The other side of the primary goes to the
other side of the SG / NST connection. Wind at least ten turns on the primary
but the tuning is done from the center of the primary outward. So not all the
turns are used. the center is zero. Count right and left from there.

                                             .   ..........5 4 3 2 1 0 1 2 3

If this is not the bipolar form you are referring to, you may mean the form
with two vertical
secondary coils spaced several feet apart. The connections are the same but
the primary is physically split into two halves with the centers connected by
a length of HV lead.

Hope this helps.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman