Re: PTs

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Chris,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> >Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz
> ><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
> <snip> I have about 10 small heating elements (Mark, what's the
> specs on those?

Could use them in series and parallel config. I tried a heating element,
but too high R for any real power.
However, with enough in parallel, it could probably work.

> I know they're 100V) for resistive ballast, and I want to
> use some of the 2400V PT's as inductive ballast. I just don't know how to
> connect it to get enough of a power flow through the pig to get full voltage
> and 80% amp load. I would like to test it at 1,2,5,8 and 10kVA. Help?

Not sure about the PT's for ballast. It is probably possible if inductance
and current handling is there, but
I don't know those values. As a ball park figure, my coil runs well at
about 12mH of ballast inductance from
my variac (240/14.4kv pig coil). This value was obtained by stopping the
coil at the variac position and
measuring the inductance with an LCR meter. Again, just a ball park figure.

The inductance of the PT's can be obtained from an open load current
measurement and a little calculation,
but I'd need to check my other pc for the test specifics and calcs (which
is currently being used by my
wife). If desired just let me know or maybe someone else can post it in the
mean time.

Take care,
Bart A.