Re: SAM BARROS TWIN COIL SYS

In a message dated 4/12/01 1:49:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> To power to seperate tesla coils at once, thus forming the twin coil
system.
>  am very intersted in this arrangment. Thanks
>
>  Thanks
>  Will McManus

Will, all,

One of the advantages of a twin coil system is that it will give
a longer spark than a single coil for a given power input.  This
is because it has to be thought of as the doubling of the length
of two shorter sparks.  Spark length depends on the
square root of the power input.

for example:

   1400 watts single coil:

          sqrt 1400 x 1.7 = 63.6" spark

    700 watts single coil:

          sqrt 700 x 1.7 =  45"  spark

   1400 watt twin (thought of as two 700 watt singles):

         45" spark x 2 = 90" spark

The 1.7 figure is a factor that I use for efficient coils.  If your
coil is less efficient, use a smaller factor as needed.

Cheers,
John Freau