RE: disk capacitors any good ?

Original poster: "Ray Robidoux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <robidoux-at-basystems-dot-com>

Hi Shaun,

What I have found with ceramic caps is that they work
much better if you derate the working voltage by 4:1.
This is because with RF these caps tend to heat up and
that causes their capacitance value to drift allot and
kill any chances of tuning your TC. Not to mention
this heating can overheat and destroy the cap itself.
With a 4:1 derating you are limiting this heating to
to a tolerable level, that limits drift and keeps the
cap from self destruction. This will however bring your
max capacitance down by a factor of 4 as well.

1.5nf in_series_with 1.5nf = .75nf * 8 = 6.0nf

Ray