Re: Water capacitor, was: Re: General Questions

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>

Hello, all

I'm  supposed to be writing a science fiction short story (due tomorrow, and
no, I'm not using TCs in it).....  Hate creative writing, and I have aSERIOUS
case of senioritis (graduation is less than a month away!)......

Back to the topic.  I actually started a thread titled "Pure water capacitor"
around Feb 2000.  Being an engineering physics major, I had access to a near
limitless supply of 10Mohm/cm water from the chem dpt.  One of the chem/physics
profs (a "physical chemist") and I worked out some rough calcs, and decided
that it was more than doable using the available resources.  We didn't work out
any force equations, though - only breakdown/resistance calcs.

The problem is that a "Walmart-quality" purifier probably isn't good enough.  A
Britta pitcher/filter isn't going to work, and the deionized water (also a
Walmart product) probably will not, either.  But that's more guess-work than
fact.  I suppose if a large space is used between plates, then lower "quality"
water is needed....  My calcs were to use two 1/4" aluminum plates 16"x16"
spaced 1/8".  It would have worked in theory (for a resonant cap, I think).

The other problem is actually getting the parts clean.  EVERYTHING that goes
into the water (including the "tub") must be THOROUGHLY washed.  This means
soap and water, alcohol, MANY rinses, and then just letting things soak for
several weeks, and changing the water every day.  The problem is that only a
VERY few particles are needed to destroy the insulating properties of the
water. Soaking allows the "crud" to leech out of the plastic, metal, etc.

Also, the cap must have a top, so that dirt, dust, and other "stuff" can't
contaminate the water.

I remember doing a lot of thinking/designing, but decided to abandon it for the
MMC (and a good choice, I'd say).  The problem was that I'd never really know
without doing it, and I didn't feel like "wasting" a month and many $$$ on
parts (the Al and heavy plastic enclosure had to be purchased) only to have it
fail.  Plus I didn't want it to work, then fail a year down the road when
"crud" had leeched from the plastic and/or aluminum.

I'd love to see someone actually do some testing (and I know I don't have the
time between school projects, job hunting (anyone need a semi-experienced,
entry-level mechanical design engineer in the Milwaukee, WI or Kalamazoo, MI
area?), etc).

My two cents

Mark B.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Terry Fritz"
<mailto:twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net><twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>