Re: Water as an insulator

Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Eric Davidson by way of Terry
> Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <edavidson-at-icva.gov>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I must say, it kinda scares me when I hear alot of
> folks talking about how
> good an insulator water is.  While it is very much
> true that extremely pure
> water can have a resistivity of more than 18 megohm
> cm^-2, however,  keeping
> water this pure is VERY difficult.  If you so much
> as added a few grains of
> ordinary table salt to a gallon of 18 meg water,  it
> would become
> dangerously conductive.  I'd rather make believe
> that water is always
> conductive, especially when a Tesla coil is in the
> neighborhood.  Just my
> $0.02.  Coil safe.
>
> Eric
> edavidson-at-icva.gov

Even if you have a pure sample of water with infinite
resistance, at high frequencies you can still have a
displacement current according to the capacity of the
water sample being used. Using the addition of glass
to this capacity to prevent the normal leakage
currents that folks are refering to essentially then
effectively gives one an effective low capacity vessel
that can be vibrated into high frequencies. It is the
arc gap, or a high voltage arcing to the water surface
that normally accomplishes this. However when using
air core coil voltage rise by series resonance to
deliver the oppositely phased voltages, the capacitive
sample itself will vibrate with rf spikes/input
frequency cycle, without the need of a surface arcing
to the water.  This water vibration, resting on wafers
of stontium ferrite magnetised material, can also
cause the magnetic domains to vibrate sufficiently to
deliver discharges to neons from windings surrounding
the magnet. It is those neon discharges that produce
the em found by inductors placed around those tubes as
a sensing technique, as the voltages involved from the
magnet windings are too high for direct scope
monitoring. Arcing and non arcing scope forms and
picture of set up are found at
http://msnhomepages.talkcity-dot-com/LaGrangeLn/teslafy/mag.html

Investigations as to whether a variac run NST can
produce similar EM from tubes where the sensing
inductor will read a rf ringdown made at the natural
resonant frequency of the sensing inductor, (where the
tube is run through the inductors core volume) show
the same effect to a much more limited degree,with
only a 120 BPS signature and at least 10 fold less
signal being recieved. This simply means the voltage
source of a ferromagnetic voltage rise is much less
free to vibrate at a high frequency because of its
magnetic inertia, compared to the voltage rise made by
air core resonance,where the magnetic fields act with
little or no inertia, responding with little time lag
between the impressed voltage and the resultant
magnetic field made by the amperage conduction in the
coils.
Sincerely HDN

=====
Binary Resonant System  http://members3.boardhost-dot-com/teslafy/