Re: General Questions

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Here we go...

> What are some different methods being used to secure the secondary of the
> TC, to the surface that the primary is mounted on?

I use four acrylic spikes to hold the coil tube in place - the tube slots
onto the spikes and from here you can ground the secondary

> Is the the secondary exhausted of air? I mean, both ends of the secondary
> are capped, correct? And is the air inside removed, pressureized?

The secondary coil is NOT exhausted of air - the caps are for connecting
convenience to the toroid. (this is why a tesla coil is called an air-cored
resonant transformer)

> Is the angle of the windings on the primary critical to the operation of
> the coil? And if so, in what way?

There is much dispute to what angle the primary coil is in relation to the
secondary coil. Some coilers insist on the secondary being perpendicular to
the primary, soime want it at 15 degrees, some have it on the same axis as
the coil. I would recconend you put it perpendicular, because a. it is
easier and b. It lowers the possibility of toroid to secondary strikes,
which can blow your NST.

> What types of epoxies or uerthenes are best to use when sealing the
> secondary conductor?

I wouldn't use epoxy resin - some of the compounds in some glues,
particularly araldite and Xpoxy conduct electricity a bit to well... i used
4 coats of PU varnish and it seems to work fine. Use a varnish that is made
out of the same material as your secondary tube, i read somewhere that it
affects the heating of the coil

> I'm getting materials together to build my first coil and would
> appreciate any all input.

No problem - good luck

Jason
jason-pee-at-bt-internet-dot-com