Re: rectified nst's and hookup

Hi Marc,

Calm down buddy! :-))

Last weekend we quickly whipped together a NST to DC converter here out of
spare diodes for a 20kV can crusher.  So the technology is a proven one ;-))

There are a few things to check if you are not getting any output past the
bridge.

1.  Check for a spark at the NST alone to be sure it, the variac, and AC
are all working to that point.

2.  Carefully check to be sure all the diodes are in the proper direction.

3.  Carefully check "again" to be sure all the diodes are in the proper
direction. :-))  Really carefully, trace along the paths and insure that
the cathodes are all going toward negative and the anodes are all going
towards positive.  If there is an error, either the current will not flow
or the NST will just see a short.

4.  The diodes may be bad :-((  If they are shorted or leaky for some
reason, then it won't work.  You can take them one by one with the output
of the NST set to a voltage that will just make a small arc and see if they
pass current in one direction and block in the other.  I assume they "are"
obviously diodes and not some other weird part.

5.  Take a picture of the setup and send it to me and maybe we can see
something that is wrong.

6.  There is no 6...  It is something that has just "got to work" if it is
wired up right and the parts or good.

I will also be working on my HV rectifier pretty soon too but I think we
can get yours working.  Don't worry, it will work once we find the trouble
spot...

Cheers,

	Terry