SRSG phasing part 2

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Hi All.... especially John...

I went to a web page of Johns and built the circuit shown on the page for
phase control of
SRSG motors.

After building it, I decided to test the circuit for voltage and smoke...
what I found was
as I turned the variac up ( no motor in the circuit) the voltage increased
rapidly ( resonate
rise? 120V -at- 0 on the variac dial and increasing to 200V -at- 40% on the
variac (( i quit there
to avoid cap damage ))  ) and the cap seemed to humm quite a bit more than
I thought was
comfortable.

the motor is a 1/4 hp inductive 120V,   I'm using 50K ohm worth of
resistance ( 20W) a 260V
32uF cap and a variac rated for 240V 10A ( using terminals 3 ((wiper) and 4
) fuse is rated
for 10A. the "hot" lead is run thru the variac.

my question is...   is this circuit supposed to increase the voltage to the
motor to change
the phase or what??  I'm lost on this one. What am I supposed to be looking
for?

Scot D