Re: Need Ozone

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Tom, Ed, David, All!

>> Sounds like smaller or less powerful coil
>> have the potential to
>> produce more O3 since there is less heat to eat up the O3.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Tom
>
>Hi Tom , Ed,
>
>I, too, have noticed this effect. My smaller, NST driven coils
>really seemed to generate copious amounts of O3, while my
>big, pole pig driven coil seems to only produce a detectable
>O3 odor right after immidiately powering it up.
>
><snip>
>
>David Rieben

The micro-coil I built with a homebrew 12V induction coil, which puts
out all of 15 watts EHT, is a really nasty little ozone plant.  I
can't play with this one without excellent ventilation, the problem of
course is that because it's so cute and relatively safe electrically
you tend to think there's no hazards at all, which isn't true.  It's
also just the thing that encourages you to play with it for long
periods at a time, as it's quite quiet and you can try all manner of
experiments with its two inch sparks which you wouldn't dream of doing
with anything mains-powered.  I was quite badly affected by it around
a year ago.  My 500W NST coil by comparison is very tame O3-wise,
though again a much worse O3 offender than the big coils at the Corby
Teslathon.  The Q&D VTTC which is around 50W input gives next to no
noxious gases at all, presumably because the plasma "flame" is sooooo
hot - I can melt glass and metal in it.

Dunckx