Re: Tesla Coil Blunders

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

> Malcolm -
>
> Sorry - the two R's are shown in the following equations:
>
>    Q = Xl/Rq  Rq = Xl/Q
>
>    F = .159 sqrt(1/LC - (Rf/2L)^2)
>
>    Rf = 2L sqrt(1/LC - (6.283F)^2)
>
> The Rq in the Q factor equation is the one to which you are referring. The
> other Rf is the one in the Resonant Frequency equation and is a different
> resistance. This resistance affects the resonant frequency of the RLC
> circuit.
>
> The meager TC operating test data (scope/antenna probe) I have been able to
> collect from coilers indicates this Rf may be involved in reducing the
> resonant frequency compared to the low voltage, low current
> Wheeler/Medhurst/Freq meter test.
>
> This resonant frequency reduction has resulted in coilers and TC programers
> having to make an adjustment in the calculation of the resonant frequency
> compared to the operating test. Apparently you haven't noticed this
> reduction.
>
> John Couture

	Any secondary with enough resistance to produce a noticable change in
frequency would be so very lossy that it couldn't function at all.
Calculate the equivalent Q for a frequency shift of a couple of
percent.

Ed