Just wound 1st 2ndary, need help sizing primary, other Q's...

Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>

I just finished winding the secondary for what will be my first coil,
and I must say, it is a thing of Beauty.  It's on the winding gizmo now,
with it's third coat of polyurethane drying.

1000 turns of 22 awg, spanning 27.5 inches, on 6 9/16 to 6 5/8 outside
diameter PVC pipe.  Plus another turn from the top of the wound portion
to the top end of the coil, spanning about 2 inches, and another turn
from the bottom end of the wound portion to the ground contact plate,
spanning about 3.5 inches.

Q: So how big should my primary be?  I have 100 feet of 1/4 inch copper
tubing to work with (2 50 foot sections, which I've already joined), and
was planning on a flat "pancake" coil.

The topload is an aluminum dryer vent hose toroid, 6 inch diameter hose,
with a 20 inch outside diameter to the toroid.

I have a couple of power supplies to work with: A 15/30 NST, a 15/60 NST
and this transformer from an X-ray power supply, which I got off eBay:

http://cgi.ebay-dot-com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1223896601

the exact specs of which I'm uncertain, but will be using a variac to
control it.

I'll be using an adjustable static spark gap to start, but may go to a
rotary.

Another question:  Any idea if I can use an asynchronous rotary gap with
the big transformer?  Is synchronous necessary with anything other than
NST's?

I'm leaving the capacitor for last, and am not sure if I'll use an MMC,
or Maxwell caps available here:
http://www.teslasystems-dot-com/indexMain.html , or even salt water caps.
Any suggestions on what might be the best type of capacitor for that
"big" transformer?

I know it may seem like I'm starting out big for a first coil, but I'm
hoping to build something that will leave me satisfied enough that I
won't want to build another one soon - it's a lot of work.

	- Bill