Re: RSG material?

In a message dated 9/15/00 11:21:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: Hollmike-at-aol-dot-com
>
>  In a message dated 9/15/2000 8:30:43 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
>  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>
>  >
>  >  I've also seen static gaps used in series with the RSG.. what's the
>  >  point? ;) Seems like the motion of the flying electrode would quench
>  >  the gap reasonably quickly. I get the feeling I'm missing a crucial
>  >  detail here.....

Mike,

You're correct that the ringdown and quench usually occurs
before the mechanical dwell time becomes a factor.  But these
series rotaries tend to quench faster anyway due to the effect of
the multiple gaps.  Not because of the lack of any stretching
effects or anything to do with the mechanical dwell, but simply
because multiple gap tend to quench better.... even multiple
static gaps quench better than single gaps, but tend to have
higher losses.

John Freau