RE: T-24 Hours Until New (Really Bright 10KVA) Light...

Hi Ryan , Mark,

I would suggest not putting a dryer element in an aquarium. A dryer element
is not designed to run under water and results could be not so happy. A
small fan blowing on the element will keep it cool enough. You are planning
to run the dryer element in series with the arc welder primary and the low
voltage winding of the pig, right? I have run a 1.5 ohm resister made from
cut down heater elements from a furnace in series with a welder and a pig
with no cooling at all. It barely got warm after some pretty hard runs. Now
I just use the welder and no resistance at all, however I would recommend
using some resistance when you are just starting out until you get a feel
for the ballasting. I sometimes add some more inductance to try to get into
the LTR area but that is another story.