Re: Inert gas SG

Alex,

This information is sometimes a bit hard to find, and various sources
sometimes give somewhat conflicting numbers. From Sarjeant and Dollinger
("High Power Electronics), the breakdown voltage for some common
dielectric gases are:

Gas:		kV/cm
====		=====
Air             23.0
Nitrogen        22.8
CO2             24.0
SF6             67.0
Argon            3.4
Helium           1.3
Hydrogen        12.0

As you can see, the breakdown voltage for helium and argon is very low
compared to most of the others. However, for best quenching, pure
hydrogen gas is the best performer. Static "quenching" spark gaps used
in early spark radio sometimes used pure copper electrodes sealed in a
container that was initially saturated with ethyl alcohol vapors. As the
gap was run, any oxygen was scavenged by the electrodes, and the alcohol
vapors were disassociated to leave a hydrogen atmosphere that was ideal
for rapid quenching.

Good luck, and let us know how your experiments work out.

-- Bert --