From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 11:03 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Re^2: Vortex gap loss measurements

Original poster: "Andreas Marshall" <marand-at-t-online.de>

Thanks, John.
I do not plan to build a professional test facility in a way like this:
"Here's the Coil - now let's see the pecentages of losses in it".
My first aim is to proof statements about losses in the primary,
mainly filter, transformer, cap, inductance.
Without secondary, i use the following approach for the Voltage:
U(t)=U0*exp (-t*delta)*cos ...
My first setup is like this:
A primary circuit (with MMC, acts also as voltage divider for the
oscilloscope)
is
driven by a small OBIT with max. 3kVeff. Primary L is about 15micro-H, C is
6,67nF.
Gap is extreme poor (two copper wires).
Now i look on the screen and notice some values of the ring-down.
>From these values I calculate the factor delta, which is equal to R/(2L).
So i
get
a value for an R which is the sum of all losses.
In further time, I will change many parameters, esp. the gap, of the setup
and
will
find different values for R.
I know, a gap has no constant resistance, but the approach of others
(like constant voltage drop) is also not exact because of the short pulses.
The first mesurement says: R=1,88Ohm (all losses together)

Can You tell me about these 3 dozen TC parameters you speak off? Maybe I
left some out.

Thanks and greetings from poor-weather-germany.

Andreas