RE: More Ballasting this Danged Transformer :)

Hi Ryan,

Actually that is 80 amps to an arc with a voltage drop across it of
something like 20 volts.
The 80 volts is the nominal open circuit voltage of the welder. The short
circuit current will be a bit higher than 80 amps. The thing to do is to
short the secondary of the welder and then measure the primary current
drawn. That will give you an absolute maximum current that can be supplied
to the transformer's low voltage windings when connected in series with the
primary of the welder, and the high voltage windings shorted. Of course more
current could be supplied to a capacitive load, especially if you happen to
get close to a resonant condition between the ballast and the cap you are
charging.

If you could be satisfied with a rougher estimate, you could make a guess
based on the transformation ratio of the welder. Its secondary open circuit
voltage is around 80 V, and its input voltage is approximately 240 V so that
gives a three to one ratio. If the output terminals of the welder were to be
shorted, the current would be "close" to 80 amps, so the primary current
would be about 1/3 of that. Probably not more than 30 to 35 amps anyway.