Re: Big Primaries, Small Caps

> Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

> Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> > Original poster: "Christopher Boden"
> <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
> >
> >  Would this mean that by twiddleing a bit more
> copper (say going from 15 up
> >  to 30 turns) I can save serious money on my MMC
> AND have LONGER streamers
> >
> >  boot?
> >

> >  This is too easy, what's the catch?
> >
> >  Chris B.
>
> Chris,
>
> The catch is that using a small primary capacitor,
> you'll need to
> use a higher input voltage to keep the bang size the
> same.  large
> bang sizes at low bps have proven to be more
> efficient at producing
> long sparks at least in my work at low powers.  But
> yes, if you
> use more primary turns, and a smaller cap, at super
> high primary
> voltages, your coil should give better overall
> efficiency.  Just double
> your primary voltage, make the primary cap 1/4 the
> size, etc.
>
> John Freau
Yes but the actual size of the primary cap dictates
what frequency the primary LC circuit oscillates at.
The art of tesla coiling is to make the primary
resonate at the same frequency the the secondary will
naturally resonate to, so I would imagine changing the
C quantity down 4 fold would have to be compensated by
increasing the L of the primary system 4 fold.  I see
that you have noted this by indicating that more
primary turns must be used when this is tried. HDN

=====
Binary Resonant Systemhttp://www.insidetheweb-dot-com/mbs.cgi/mb124201