Re: Re: Big Primaries, Small Caps

You know, I am curious about something, since you are on this subject
about big primaries.  I have my 3/8" copper refrig. tube primary tuned at
the 7th loop from the center, and it has a total of 14 turns in all.  It
seems the more doorknob caps I add to the tank circuit, that the less
primary coil I need to tune my 8" secondary for maximum spark.  But what
I am trying to get at is this,  do I really need the unused outer turns
of the primary as I increase the efficiency of my coil.  Do the unused
outer turns contribute anything to the circuit?  A small thick primary
would take less space.  But before I cut it off, say at about nine turns
I would like to know if anyone has removed unused turns from their
primaries with any ill effects?  I do remember when I first started
coiling and used bottle caps, that I needed  as much primary coil as I
could get.  I even added on a length of tube just to get the coil to fire
and ran the coil  tapped at the very last outermost turn.  But as I added
bottle caps, it seemed I needed less primary winding, and the doorknob
caps needed even less primary tubing.  So, do we really need all that
unused tube once we get our coils tuned and running? I am looking for a
smaller, lighter package with max spark in a yet to be built future coil.
 Al.