RE: Vortex gap loss measurements

Hi Dan:

Comments interspersed:

>Original poster: "Daniel Boughton" <daniel_boughton-at-yahoo-dot-com>
>
>Gary:
>
>This is a very interesting experiment. First, when you
>measured the slope during the ring down, did you see
>the same size decrement of each succesive oscillation?
>Is this what you mean by linear as oppossed to
>logarithmic?

Yes, the envelope of the ringdown is precisely triangular.  You can line up
a straight edge on the ramp and it follows the envelope exactly, right down
to zero.

>Traditional wisdom purports that the
>decay is according to V(t)=V(i)e^-rt where V(i) is the
>forced initial potential on the capacitor. Your
>results are very interesting however in that it flies
>in the face of convention. The derived equation must
>be something like V(t)= V(i)*-krt.

I think the thing wrong with the traditional equation is that it assumes a
constant arc resistance.  I'm guessing that the arc resistance is a function
of arc current, and not a constant.

>I wonder if without
>the secondary it is linear due to resistive losses
>only. Without the secondary the additional absorption
>of energy via the secondary mutual inductance is
>missing which accounts for the linear decay?

I think all of the losses have to be resistive, it's just a question of
whether it's a constant resistance.

>Also what
>I found interseting was that with the gap distance the
>slope remained constant. I would have expected greater
>gap resistance at further distances but it seems that
>the plasma provides a constant resistance no matter
>how wide the spark gap is set (within reason of
>course-I 'm sure at a foot the resistance would be
>substantial as compared to 300 mil).

Yes indeed!  I also expected the losses to be proportional to arc length.
But with a wider gap, the breakdown voltage is higher with proportionately
higher tank currents, and if my belief that arc resistance diminishes with
higher currents, it may all be a wash.

Here's a thought experiment.  I don't know the answer, perhaps someone else
does.  If one has a 3 foot long neon sign tube and a 6 foot neon sign tube,
the longer one will obviously require a higher voltage to start ionization.
But once started, won't they both draw the same current from the same NST?
If so, this suggests that gap arc resistance is strictly a function of gap
current, not distance.  If not, then I give up!

>Also, does your scope generate a data file? If so, can
>you share it?

It does, but it's in a format native to the Tektronix scope.  I haven't
figured out how to convert it to a GIF or BMP (the scope is borrowed from
work and doesn't have a manual).  I didn't save any of the traces since the
slope measurements were easy to make with the cursors, but I can repeat a
subset of the measurements and just take a picture of the screen with my
digital camera.  [Crude, crude, crude!]  It may take a week or so to find
the time, but I'll post it to my web site with a heads-up to the List when I
do.

>Regards,
>Dan

Regards, Gary Lau