Re: is this tube good for a VTTC?

In a message dated 9/2/00 6:15:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Kevin D" <teslacoilfreak1-at-mediaone-dot-net>
>
>  Hi,
>  I was wondering if a Svetlana 572B "High-Mu Triode"
>  could be used in a VTTC circuit?
>
>  Here are its basic specs: (intermittant commercial and ameteur
>  service-linear RF power amp. class B grounded
>  grid max. raitings)
>
>  Amplification factor: 170
>  DC plate V: 2,750V
>  DC plate I:  275mA
>  DC plate input: 600W
>  DC grid I: 50mA
>  plate dissipation: 160W
>
>  Also does anyone know were I might find a schematic that
>  uses this tube or similar tube and if not would I be able to use a 833A
type
>  circuit???
>
>  Thanks For Any Help!!
>  Kevin D.

Kevin,

Dave Sharpe used those tubes in a VTTC.  They should behave
somewhat similarly to an 833A tube.  Generally you can use
any tube in any circuit as long as the voltage and power ratings
are somewhat similar.  I often used my small VTTC (20" sparks),
to test various tubes.  Most of the time, I was able to just plug
in the new type of tube and it would work fine.  At the most, I
would adjust the grid feedback, or grid leak resistance if needed.
But a wimpy tube will need a higher tank impedance (more
primary turns and a smaller cap).... keeping it in tune of course.

   http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

John Freau