Re: MMC from Microwave Caps

Original poster: "Bert Hickman" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Alan,

All of the problems you mention are real. In addition, the dielectric in
these caps is usually Mylar, which tends to be quite lossy when stressed
with RF. This leads to reduced coil performance and internal capacitor
heating. Since these caps are hermetically sealed units, dielectric and
plate heating in Tesla Coil use can create an overpressure situation.
Metal-cased [or even worse, glass-enclosed (Glassmike)] Mylar caps have
been known to forcefully explode with no warning(!), showering the
unsuspecting coiler and the surroundings with hot oil and capacitor
innards.. :^(

As long as you put the caps in some type of container for operator
protection, and if your string of caps uses approximately the same
capacitance/cap, using a string of them should work, but not nearly as
well as a true polypropylene MMC. Keep your runtimes reasonably short,
with cool down times in between. This will allow to heat that builds up
deep within the capacitor rolls to safely transfer to the outer surface
of the capacitor package. And put parts for an MMC cap on your Christmas
list... :^)

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --