Re: Sync gap test

Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Hi Ed,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Well, I fired up my new sync rotary gap last night on my 3.0" coil.  I did
> change the electrode gap spacing to .025".  It took me 20 to 30 minutes of
> trial and error to get the motor phase angle set correctly.

<snip>

> The overall performance of the coil, measured by maximum spark length, has
> not improved.  It was 26" before and last night I measured 25".  I did
> re-arrange some primary wiring and it might need to be re tuned.  I thought
> the performance might improve but was not sure.  This new sync gap is running
>
> 4 electrodes at 3600 rpm for a break rate of 240 bps.  The coil is powered by
>
> two 12 kv 30 ma transformers in parallel.  26" spark length seems to be quite
>
> poor performance compared to other results I have read about on this list.

<snip>

Ed,

With my rotary, I try to keep in mind that the highest voltage the cap will see
is determined by the BPS assuming the gap spacing is set to fire on each break.
With the static gap, the spacing and charge time-to-conduction determines the
cap voltage. Keeping these two differences in mind, you may want to try it out
at 120 BPS and see if doubling your charge time helps out.

Take care,
Bart