Re: An inexpensive X-ray machine

An Oudin coil is just a variation on the Tesla
coil--the primary and secondary are wired together.

A kicker coil is a simple type of induction coil that
uses a magnetic reed interrupter and only a single
winding on the core.  Current through the kicker
winding magnetizes the core and attracts the reed,
opening the circuit.  When the kicker coil current is
interrupted, the magnetic field around the thing
collapses and creates a high voltage pulse in the
winding through self-induction.

I think I read the same article you did in an old
hardcover volume published by Scientific American
magazine.  I think all the author really did was
replace the UV lamp in a violet ray machine with a
homebrew tube containing a "hard" vacuum and a heavy
metal target.

Best Regards,

Greg