induction question

Hi All...

I had purchased a 5KVA transformer thru Ebay and planned to use it as ballast
for my piggie system. My idea was to hook this thing up ( primary side ) in
series with the pig ( like a welder ) and place various values of reisitors (
hot water heater cores) on the secondary side of this thing. By adding
additional heater cores in paralell on the secondary side of the transformer
"should" cause the transformer to draw more current thus increasing my current
to the pig.

But ..... after i had connected this monster to my system, nothing happened. On
occasion I would get a single pop from the spark gap and no other action. The
secondary side of the transformer had 8000 watts of heater cores attached to
it. If my math is correct, that should draw 33 amps + core current.

I had checked the transformer in its "setup" condition on a direct connection
to 240 V supply and read 34 amps current draw. I am guessing that the
transformer is working properly.

My other current limiter is an E core with 250 winds of #10 solid wire and it
is supplying 25 A of current to the pig. My question is why doesnt this new
transformer/resistor system fire off the coil ? Am I dealing with some weird
inductive phasing that is shifting my current phase too far out and not seeing
any current to the pig?

Scot D