Variac rating

All,
I am new to the list and find it to be an excellent source of answers for my
unasked questions.  I am contemplating my first Tesla Coil and need all the
help I can get.  I have decided to go with a small DC tube driven TC.  Mark S.
Rzeszortarski Ph.D. has a diagram on the web of a VTTC that he can run for long
periods of time with out serious problems.  I plan to loosely base my TC on his
design.  The question I have is about the current rating for my variac which
will have a 120V input and will have it's output tied to a high voltage
transformer.  The transformer output to the diode bridge rectifier is 600V AC.
The variac on the diagram is notated
0-120 VAC 1.75 A.  I want to keep the components for this project as small as
possible.  With respect to current, what size variac does it sound like I need?
I am another EE student without allot of cash and about the only thing I can
afford to order from Jameco is their free catalog.  Does any one have any
suggestions on what I might be able to scrap one out of?
Because Safety comes first I feel like it might be to my advantage if I tell
the list members a little about my background.  I have over 4 years of
experience in the commercial electrical trade.  I am not a licensed journeyman,
but I spent over a year as a N.A.L.M.Co. certified senior technician
troubleshooting ALL types of commercial lighting systems and controls including
High Intensity Discharge lighting, neon and signage.  Before enrolling at the
University of Texas I spent two years studying electronics at a technical
school.  I am fully aware of the hazards involved with my project and plan to
use extreme caution.

--green horn