Re: Tube coils

Steve:

Your best source of TC tubes may well be a ham radio flea market.  Find a
person
who is a ham and ask them.  Transmitting type tubes are preferred.  Most
coilers
use old WWII vintage surplus "800" series triodes and tetrodes (with grids tied
together).  These older tubes are becoming more difficult to obtain and
expensive.
 You must also consider filament power requirements as many ran on 10 or 7.5
volts.  The best commercial sources for TC suitable power tubes are probably
RF parts www.rfparts-dot-com, antique radio supply www.tubesandmore-dot-com. and
surplus
sales of Nebraska.  You can also try EBAY but they don't come cheap!  Svetlana
is also a source of modern construction power triodes which are suitable for
TC service (833, 572B 811A etc).  Just make sure the tube you select has
adequate
voltage rating and power handling capability for the power supply you use.
The grid coil is used to provide feedback to the oscillator.  Check a copy of
the ARRL handbook for more info.  I hope this helps.

Steve