Re: Power

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Hansens" <gldhansen-at-rcn-dot-com>
>
> Original poster: "Jason Johnson" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> >I'm running a 240 volt, 40 amp dedicated line out to my "High voltage
> >Laboratory" (garage really). Will 6 gauge copper handle this amount of
> >power? I
> >imagine it would but I don't know for sure. Would I be better off running
> >two
> >lengths of 10/2 and parrelleling the conductors in each (one line for each
> >hot,
> >and a dedicated ground/nuetral system at the garage)? Also I noticed that
> >all
> >the power comes into our house through a 5KVA pole pig, and two 16/3 cables
> >with the conductors parrelleled. I will be using twice that amount of power
> >in
> >the garage alone! How can that be up to code!? Should the question be "Will
> >the
> >point where I tie into the grid handle that power?" instead of "Will MY
> >wiring
> >handle it?"
>
> Hi Jason,
>         6 gauge copper wire will handle up to 109 amps, so you've got
plenty of
> safety margin (for longer sparks :)).

105 amp rating for #6 is for open air single conductor only (such as a lighting
aerial) this would, in no way be up to code if you ran it suspended from the
ceiling. i would use conduit and rate it at a code of 55 amp for "tw", or
65 amp
for "thwn" or "thhn", 75 amp for "xhhw-2" or "thwn-2". anyway, this will handle
your 40 amps ok, but put it in conduit or use 6-3 with a ground romax. you
could
run the ragged edge and use 8-3 with a ground romax or for 120v only, 8-2
with a
ground, this is code for 40 amp.
i'm not trying to be nit picky, so forgive me, i just thought the info
might help
and keep the embarrassing "i didn't know, i'll redo it asap sir" to a minimum.
keep the ozone flying,     marc