Re: RSG electrode holders?

Hi all,

 A ceiling tile is *far* too weak to use in a rotary!!!  Unless
it's a fiberglass composite tile (which if kinda doubt if you used
a utility knife to cut it), it'll surely fail in duty.  I highly
discourage the use of that particular material as a rotary disc,
though I give you an A+ for thinking outside the box!

  I use 1/4" Palsun brand Polycarbonate sheet.  A good sized (12x18
I think it was) ran me ~$17 at home depot.  Use the 1/4" stuff.  It
machines really good, is tough as nails, and I've run a 4" diameter
disc up to 2kva for ~1-2 minutes at a time with very little heating
of the flying electrodes.  I use 10-32 threaded brass rod, with
washers and nuts for the electrodes.  For the stationary, I
recommend 1/4" or 3/8" brass rod.
  GPO3 or G-10 fiberglass-epoxy discs are the ultimate in rotaries,
but not necessary for low powered systems.  Even a small induction
motor can be modified for sync operation and still pull a
moderately sized disc.  Grab a sheet of the 1/4" polycarb, a
compass, scribe a circle, and have at it with the jigsaw.  You can
smooth it out on a sander or on the motor with a file.  I've had
great results with it, and others have had excellent results using
Lexan.  That, and I personally think the clear disc is just *much*
cooler lookin' ;)
                                        Caio!
                                                Sundog