Resonant power supply?

Hello, all.

I was pondering some creative ideas for a TC power source and a thought
came to my mind that may or may not have occurred to someone else
already.  I was about to do some investigation into it myself, but I was
just wondering if someone else might have already done it.  My idea is as
follows: Some sort of high power push pull oscillator, switching a
rectified AC line (Vin = 170V), would drive a series resonant circuit at
a relatively low frequency, say around a few kilohertz.  The inductor
would be quite large compared to the primary coil in terms of its
inductance.  The high reactance of this inductor would cause a very high
Q factor, and thus a very high voltage would appear across both the
capacitor and inductor.  Now, let's suppose that we connect the spark gap
and the primary in parallel with this capacitor, in effect making it the
equivalent of our primary tank capacitor.  We would have, in a sense, one
resonant circuit powering another.  Obviously, much would have to be done
to protect the oscillator from the dangerous transients coming back from
the Tesla Coil itself.  I wish I could have included a schematic, but I'm
not really good at doing that with text characters yet, as some of you
are :-)).  Does anyone know if this would work, or should I pursue some
experiments of my own?  Thanks ahead of time for your input.

Regards,

	Joshua Wilson