Re: Tungsten

Hi Finn, All,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Finn Hammer" <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>
>
> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>
> snip
> > Once you get the rods you'll have to look into a method of
> > cutting to the desired length. I have a Dremel Diamond Cutting Wheel
> > ($21.00) on order.
>
> snip
> Once cut, mount the bits in an electric drill, and rotate them with it,
> while you press the end of the electrode-to -be against a grinding
> wheel, or a belt sander. Be garefull if you use a grinding wheel, it
> tends to knock the electrode/drilllingmachine back untill a nice true
> surface is obtained.
>
> Hemispherical ends are rather easy to make this way too, and for static
> gaps, my favourite, the Rukowski lookalike profile (big radius across
> most of the surface, progressing into a nice small radius blending into
> the shaft) -Not too hard to make.
>
> Cheers, Finn Hammer

This method works well with pure tungsten as well. A few months ago, I put my
electrodes in a drill, set a flat steel file on the floor (standing on it to
keep it in place) and filed the square cut down to nice hemispherical shapes.
Works great. The only thing to watch out for is to "not" file away too much
that would change the end to end length of the electrodes.

Bart