Re: Problems with "true" RMS Readings

Hi Harvey,

	Both my digital scope (60MHz) and my fancy HP 34401a (200kHz at 6 digits
(I paid more than you did ;-)) do true RMS measurement to a bazaar level.
It takes a while to get used to those readings compared to the old 'peak
level times 0.707' meters.  All these meters use one of the popular true
RMS chips in them which are all very good.  It does not sound like your
meter is bad as long as it is measure something within an order of magnitude.

	""True RMS meters read the equivalent DC voltage that would heat a
resistor up as much as the odd waveform you are measuring.""

	The old meters will just read the peak value and multiply it by 0.707
assuming that it is a sine wave, but they could be very far off while the
true RMS device will be very accurate.  Unfortunately, I must tell you that
you should probably take all your old meters back and keep the new one ;-)
True RMS meters are a wonder that modern electronics has brought us normal
folks.  My scope and HP meter cost about a $1000 each, but 10 years ago
they would have cost 10X that.  For most things, the true RMS value is what
we want.  The old meters are just all they could do with a diode and a
resistor...  Since many things use sine waves that was usually enough.
Doing the true real-time Root Mean Squared calculation requires some pretty
heavy duty A/D converter and fast math power.

	I would be typing all night explaining all the ins-and-outs of RMS
voltages and currents but rest assured that the meter is doing it's job
well and you will find it a valuable tool.  Oscilloscopes that have RMS
readouts really make things obvious since you can see the messy signal and
directly associated it with the RMS value.

	If you are really worried I could test the meter for you but I think it is
fine.  Perhaps others could suggest a good book or web reference about RMS
measurements that would make all this more clear?

Cheers,

	Terry