[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: chokes for NST

Hi Marc,

On my 9/30 coil I use a 360pF capacitor (value not critcal) between each
NST leg and ground.  I then have a 5k ohm 25 watt resistor going between
the legs and the main gap.

I have a string of 1800 volt metal oxide varistors from DigiKey right at
the transformer legs to ground and I put a safety gap between the resistors
and the main gap too.

I use a bunch of low value poly caps in an MMC style string for the filter
caps.

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/newcoil/19.jpg

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/Filter.jpg

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/NSTFilt.jpg

Chokes tend to have unwanted ringing and there is doubt that they do any
good in series with the giant inductance of the NST secondary windings.

Cheers,

	Terry