[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coil status report

     Hey folks!

     Ran my 6" coil Friday night so one of my friends could shoot some
     video.  It's running better than ever!  Getting big 3' arcs off the
     toroid with no breakout points, caps and resistors barely getting warm
     after 2 minute runs, and the safety gaps hardly ever firing.

     Tried opening the gap up even farther, which was an unqualified
     failure.  Opened the gap up to 13 gaps of approx. .025 for a total of
     .325.  I turned up the variac slowly.  At around 100-110 volts there
     was a loud simultaneous CRACK from both the tank cap safety gap and
     and the NST safety gap, but there was no breakout from the toroid at
     all.  I took this to mean "BAD" and set the gap back to 11 gaps for
     approx. .27, where the coil seems happy to run all night.  These gap
     measurements are only approximate, because my gap setting skills are a
     little weak.

     Pulled some arcs off the toroid manually with a big long piece of
     magnet wire attached at one end to ground and the other taped to the
     end of a 6' piece of PVC pipe.  This worked like a charm, and looked
     really cool on video.

     Anyway, coil is running great.  Working on an SRSG, which should give
     me even more zap!

     paul mathus