[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Optimal toroid elevation

Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> on 27.05.2000 17:59:53

To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
Subject:  Re: Optimal toroid elevation

>Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>

>The ring helps a little but is not really that good.  I think the toroid is
>simply too high.  I ran it with the toroid center 11 inches above the top
>winding (instead of 19 inches as in the first example) and I got the
following:

>http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/marco05.gif
>http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/site/misc/marco06.gif
>
>Note the far reduced stress at the top of the secondary winding and the
>much more natural oval shape to the top E-fields.  "I" think this is the
>way to go.  Put the terminal center about a foot above the secondary top
>winding would be my guess.

Hi Terry.

Your dimensions were correct and I tried also myself the different
situations. I
reached the same conclusion than you: I'll set the toroid about 25 cm above the
top secondary turn. Thanks for your and all others' help.

>I would have a thin ring (like 1/2 inch tubing)
>as a corona ring to keep the top winding from burning if it does have an
>arc.  I don't think the ring will help much with field control however.

Wouldn't that give a chance to make some errors (leave some sharp corner, etc.)
and again modify the field density in a worse direction?

Regards