[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: caps

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Grayson B Dietrich" <electrofire-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> While I'm sure others will answer this as well, It is my understanding
> that  most electrolytic caps will burn out or worse (explode) if you run
> AC on them. Certainly they can not withstand the RF in a TC tank circuit!

	Actually, since the supply voltage is DC and the application is
just filtration, not pulse discharge, I don't see the problem.  Photo
flash electrolytics would work fine, or really any electrolytics rated at
~400 volts.  10 400 uf, 400 volt caps would give me 40 uf--more than
enough for my purposes.  The trick would be to make sure RF didn't get
into the supply circuit.  But this is a cinch for DC; I'd just use some of
my diodes to make an L-diode filter, as Greg Leyh did for the Electrum
coil.  100% filtration is a pretty good figure.
   Does anyone else see a reason why electrolytics wouldn't work as
filter caps?  Thanks again for the idea, Steve.
		--Mike