[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Malcolm's ruler machine

Hi Terry,

I believe it is a very good analogy. It may have minor limitation because
its a transverse wave ie the motion is orthogonal to the wave propagation
direction.  Where as a coil is longitudinal for M (hence dispersion) and
transverse for E or more accurately the E is radialy orthogonal to the
propagation.  You could check the shift from the 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 ideal
sequence and check that your amplitude does not change the frequency
significantly.

What you may need is cylinder  of something that expands
radialy if you push on one end suddenly,  hence my suggestion of jelly.
I assume a surface water wave is an analogy but only as a side  line view of
the coil.
Perhaps we can get the space lab guys to set up a column of water between
two plates and then oscillate one end plate :) They do some times ask for
experiments.

Just thought if you put a weight on the end and it starts to bend or even
upside down you may get a pendulum effect which I dont think you want.  Try
putting it on its side and  suspending the weight with thread but then you
still get the pendulum effect again unless the thread is very long ie the
pendulum frequency must be much lower than the wire mass frequency.  I guess
a ruler on its side edge up may do it.

The spatial resolution question was my attempt to account for the drop at
the end of your voltage profiles ie if you measured the voltage with a small
plate as the plate overlapped the end the apparent voltage would go down,

Regards Bob