[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: caps

ok, here is the formula i use to figure my flat plate caps, a rolled cap
is actually a flat plate with only two plates.

                  0.224  x  dielectric strength  x  area of plate
     C =     ---------------------------------------------      x # of
plates-1
                  distance between plates"in inches

capacitance is in microfarads, your actual reading will very with how
tight you can keep the plates together.
in a rolled cap you wouldn't subtract 1 from the number of plates.

while i am going to try my hand at a mmc system, i must say i learned
more and had more satisfaction when i made my flat plate caps. also i
remember reading somewhere (i believe it was on bill beatys site) that a
rolled cap has a threshold of around .01uf or something. that is why i
opted for a flat plate cap.
feel free to contact me off list for any help i could give you. i'm
trying to keep bandwidth down for the list.....marc