[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: E-Tesla troubles

Hi J.B.,

Thank you for calling the E-Tesla5 customer support line...

For help with primaries, press "1"...  For help with secondaries, press "2"
for help with...  Ok, ok,... just joking!!  :o))

Since E-Tesla5 is FREE, I won't put you through that "fine" level of
support...  :-)))

At 12:18 AM 5/25/00 +0100, you wrote:

>Hello Coilers:
>
>I'm trying to use E-Tesla5 to compute my coil, but after I've entered
>all of the params and confirmed they're correct, I get an overflow
>error.  I know NOTHING about programing, so the help keys don't
>help me at all.  Here's the parameters I'm entering:

With your numbers below, I get the same error...

>Accuracy number = 3
>Units = 3 (inches)
>Ceiling height = 120
>Dist. to walls = 96
>Height of inner primary turn = 29
>primary inner diameter = 5.5
>primary outer diameter = 19
>Height of outer primary turn = 31
>Height of secondary 1st. turn = 30
>Secondary diameter = 4.1
>Secondary length = 16
>Secondary inductance = 7.6 mH.
>Height of 1st. toroid center = 50
>Radius of 1st. toroid = 7.5 (see note below)

If the "radius" of each toroid section is 7.5 inches,then the sections must
be 15 inches in "diameter"!?  Are you sure the >>"radius"<< is not really
3.75 inches??

>First toroid center to center diameter = 11

It would not make sense to have a "toroid" with the sections 7.5 inches in
"radius" and the center to center distance only 11 inches.  This is where
the program is getting confused.  Either the radius of the sections is 3.75
inches or the center to center distance needs to be 15 inches or more.  If
you have an oddly shaped toroid, I may need to do a small modification to
the program to handle it...

>Height of 2nd. toroid center = 50
>Radius of 2nd. toroid = 7.5
>Second toroid center to center diameter = 11
>
>I only have one toroid, so I entered the same numbers as the first
>for the second, thinking that the program would see it as one.
>The radius is from the mounting bolt on the secondary center axis
>to the outer edge of the toroid.

You can just enter zero or "return" for the second terminal if it does not
apply.  The program knows what you mean and will "fix" the second,
non-existent, terminal numbers for you.  You can also re-enter the
numbers...  It does not make any difference since the program will work
fine anyway...

>The computer is an old 50 mHz. 486 with no other program running.

The program should run on the original 1980 version IBM PC (the cassette
interface may be pushing it ;-))...  I got rid of my long trusted 486-50
only last year.  I got a new BIG computer so I could run E-Tesla5 really
fast!! ;-))  However, ANY PC should run this prehistoric BASIC program...
eventually.

>Anyone see why it won't compute?

Check the toroid "radius" (I think you put in the "diameter").  Then it
should work fine.  This is the first time I have ever heard of the program
choking...

I wondered what the most "natural" radius vs. diameter and center to center
vs. outside diameter inputs would be...  My human-to-machine interface
department thought it would be OK... :-)))

Cheers,

	Terry