[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Better Electrode Material

In <4.1.20000524171901.009fb100-at-pop.dnvr.uswest-dot-net>, on 05/24/00
   at 05:19 PM, Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> said:

>Original Poster: "David Huffman" <huffman-at-fnal.gov>

>Hello All,
>Just a thought here. Has anyone ever tested the effect of various
>metals in a spark gap? I remember hearing zinc is bad for several

I tried tungsten rods, didn't work good. May have been other reasons,
though. Also tried steel plates at one time, worked well. Once used a
carriage bolt and a piece of aluminum strap, worked just fine. Used
copper pipes in several different static gaps, but don't like static
gaps to begin with. Now using 1/2" diameter copper bars for stationary
electrodes with steel acorn nuts as flying electrodes. I'll stick with
these for awhile. Oh yeah, I once used coke cans with a small neon
transformer. That worked well for the power level which wasn't very
much. Never tried zinc or brass, but I do have some 3/4" brass rod I
was thinking of using as stationary electrodes. May try it soon and
see.

Later,
Alan
ajones-at-pointlink-dot-net