[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pole pigs - they're great but why didn't ypu protect...

In a message dated 5/22/00 6:05:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original Poster: "G. G. Ford" <swimp-at-home-dot-com>
>
>  Tesla List wrote:
>
>  Ok, David,
>
>  I like big xfrmrs too - I have a way over-heavy
>  duty capable  1-kva USNavy Surplus 5 kvac SP
>  115 VAC iinput transformer - Stretch Out two
>  coat hangers, try a Jacob's latter...and a white
>  arc burning iron results - But tell me, why didn't
>  you protect your NST w/ a series RFC on the HV
>  terminal and a Shut (between load and RFC) RF
>  Capacitor to carry the RF?!  That way you'd have
>  attenuated your XFRMR's HVRF Insult!  If it is
>  a two HV terminal NST, two RFC's and one Cap
>  can be used, otherwise the Cap could short the
>  HV RF to GND.  Better make sure XFMR-RFC-
>  -CAP is nonresonant at 60 Hz, BTW.
>
>  Gary http://members.home-dot-net/swimp/

Gary, David, all,

I agree that pole pigs are the utimate TC transformer, and that
PT's are excellent too, but the NST's do have some advantages
in some situations.  For instance for a light, portable, yet efficient
coil they serve a purpose.  I've used them for small coils up to
42" to 65" sparks, and I've had mostly no failures when using sync
gaps.  The last two transformers I tried did fail, but they may have
been weak or defective.  The ones I've been using for years are still
working.  I don't even use any protective networks other than
safety gaps.

My coil can be seen at:

    http://members.aol-dot-com/FutureT/TT-42index.html

Cheers,