[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

pole pigs

Hey guys, my name is David and I am relatively new to this internet thing, but
I would like to enter some of my thoughts concerning pole pigs for Tesla sys-
tems.

First, I would like to say that when it comes to power transformers for Tesla
systems, the pole pig is the ultimate powser supply for serious high powered
Tesla coil systems. For years I wasted many-a-dollar on OBITs, NSTs, and
even custom built xfmrs but they always seemed to finally succumb to the vi-
cious RF kickbacks from the primary tank circuit. And when I considered the
cost of new NSTs, I just figured that a pole pig would be way out of my
budget,
if it was proportionately as expensive as other types of HV xfmrs. Then after
at-
tending my first Teslathon at Richmond,VA. last year, I finally obtained a
couple
of 1 kVA, 7200 volt potential transformers. These babies beautifully powered
my
large Tesla sytem (Medusa) and for the first time I was reaching the 8 ft.
spark
threshold. These PTs could take a licking and and keep on ticking.

Then, last March I finally purchased a pole pig. Pigs are really quite
economical
when compared to other types of HV xfmrs. I purchased a remanufactured 10 kVA
14400/240 volt pole pig from a transformer shop in Greenwood,MS. (I live in
the
Memphis,TN. area) for a decent $270.

Once I figured out how to properly ballast this beast, I removed the PTs from
my
power cabinet and permanantly replaced them with the pole pig although I had
to leave the pole pig outside the cabinet since it wouldn't fit inside. Now
'Medusa'
handily produces bright, fat and extremely loud 8 to 10 ft. sparks with its
12"x41"
resonator and 8"x33" toroid with the power control variac only turned up to
about
75% and the panel meters showing about 8 to 9 kVA input! I feel that the
sparks
could probably even reach out a little further if I had more space around the
coil.

Well, I just thought that I pass on this info as this seems to be a well
discussed
topic on this list. The bottom line is that the pole pig is simply
unsurpassed as
a truly reliable Tesla system power source and would probably never default to
the parasitic kickbacks from the primary circuit. And you can't get more watts
for the buck!

                                                        Keep it Sparkin'
                                                        David