[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Negative Resistance, was: Tesla's Wireless Power Transmission

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Ruud de Graaf" <rdegraaf-at-daxis.nl>

> You disappoint me guys. You are both wrong and both right I'm afraid. Inert
> gas or gas mixtures that normally don't react with each other have negative
> resistance after breakdown and so has neon. This means: higher current >
> lower resistance > higher current ... > POOoof (sudden death). So current
> limitation is necessary to avoid overheating the neon tube and higher
> voltages for longer tube lengths are only necessary to ignite.

The voltage over the tube decreases as the current increases, but not at
the same rate. The power delivered to the tube, and dissipated by it,
increases steadily as the current is increased. Obvious, otherwise you
would have a tube that produces less light with more current.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz