[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power in a TC System

Hi Gavin,

At 11:17 PM 05/19/2000 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi John,
>I know a bit about coiling, but tend to get lost with definitions (I only
>learnt
>the other day what an MMC was, but had been using them for the last few
>years!).

Really!  The first use of today's modern MMCs with high current
polypropylene caps has been credited to Reinhard in the summer of 1998, so
far...  We are kind of wondering who was the first to use them?  Not that
there is any great pot of gold for being the "first" but if you have used
them before all of us you should get some kind of honorable mention...
Other mini caps have been used for a decade plus but only the modern poly
caps have really worked well.

>A matched primary capacitor? Is this when the capacitors impedance matches
>the NST
>secondary's at the line frequency, i.e. forms a resonant circuit?

This is referred to as a "resonant matched primary capacitor value".  The
impedance of the cap at 60Hz cancels the output impedance of the NST.

>What is LTR? Is this when the impedance of the primary capacitor loads the
>NST to
>it's maximum power capacity:-
>
>Xc = Vout / Imax

LTR is really any value above the resonant capacitor size.  You can charge
capacitors larger than the resonant value to the full NST rated voltage
easily.  This gives you greater stored energy (but perhaps a lower BPS).
This is around 1.5 times the resonant value.  With a rotary sync gap, you
can go further still.  My 15/60 NST uses 28nF and my 9/30 NST uses 24nF.
Far above the 10.6nF and 8.8nF resonant values.  With a static gap, my
15/60 NST used 17nF.

>Sorry for these elementary questions, but I have got to know some time!

Sure!

Cheers,

	Terry